One lovely rainy day I found myself quite alone with nothing to do. I decided to drive downtown to see how Restoration Hardware had renovated the Three Arts Club where they are currently residing. It’s a beautiful old building and RH had managed to turn it into a retail space while respecting the buildings grace and age.
After wandering around for a while I took myself to lunch on the main floor where RH had created a restaurant housed in a beautiful courtyard with a fountain. I had this very nice salad, which combined things that I love in a creamy, crunchy, sweet and salty combination. I didn’t bother asking for the recipe. It’s elegant in its simplicity.
- 1lb multi colored baby carrots (purple, white, orange)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz container whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mash salt, garlic, black pepper, ground coriander and cumin seeds into a paste. Add olive oil to the paste
- Coat carrots with paste and cook until tender. Cooking time varies depending of the thickness of the carrots, between 20-30 minutes.
- Mix cardamom, honey and about a teaspoon of lemon juice into the yogurt. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Place yogurt on a platter and place the carrots on top.
- Scatter pistachios, chopped mint and sliced dates over the carrots and around the platter.