Couscous Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes, and Mint
Ma Belle Mere and her sister Danielle made this salad for my family on a hot summer day in the Loire Valley where we were vacationing. The crunch of cucumber, soft and fruity tomatoes, the sharp tang of capers and lemon juice and fragrant olive oil and mint were refreshing and evocative of Algeria and Italy, where Marie-Paule and Danielle originate.
- 1 cup cous cous, (preferably fine grain if you can find it but medium grain will do)
- 2 pickling cucumbers, peeled and diced small
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon of small capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced green Bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves.